Sunday, April 26, 2009

Running out of gas...

I seem to be having this problem a lot lately. I'm doing fine for about the first 20 minutes of a run, and then I begin to just run out of energy. I'm not hurting; I don't have any stitches or cramps, but I'm just out of fuel. I'm not sure if my sugars are off, but I have a feeling it has more to do with my electrolytes. I say this because I recently began drinking sports drinks since I've finally managed to consistently run more than 30 minutes with every outing. Today I meant to take my G2 with me but forgot it. During the run today, I just pooped out! I wanted to keep running, so I'd run as far as my little legs could take me and then walk a bit. Then I'd run some more. I got home and chugged my G2 because I was soooo thirsty. Lo and behold - my energy came back! I've read a couple articles that said even just a little sports drink mid-run can boost energy levels dramatically, and I have a feeling I was experiencing that effect. Long story short, I will have to invest in a small bottle to fit on my running pack for a little sports drink or just carry the darn bottle with me. I could not believe how much better I felt. Sometimes life's problems have such simple solutions!

2 comments:

Erica said...

I just found your blog through about.com and i am glad i did i look forward to following you, I recently decided to get into shape to run my first 5k and i am always looking for great tips and motivation. Hope you will check out my blog

http://myfirst5k-erica.blogspot.com/

Diane said...

Thanks for the wonderful comments! I will definitely check out your blog and encourage you to continue seeking out different perspectives when it comes to running. I've learned so much from others and have realized that the running community as a whole is a fun and welcoming one. :)