Friday, April 10, 2009

Food for thought

I was inspired to write a post based on this article about how to beat stress and prevent weight gain. I thought it was well-written and easy to understand and totally agree with what it says. Basically get off your butt to help get rid of stress and stop worrying so much about sticking to a strict diet! Try to eat sensibly, but allow yourself a little wiggle room on occasion. The most important message is get some exercise consistently and eat food that works for you, not against you.

Then I came across this and feel compelled to speak up. This is a bit of a political rant, which is not the norm for me or this blog. Click away now if you don't want to read it.

New York wants to institute a soda tax. A really high soda tax. I understand banning trans-fats (yay!), I can see why posting caloric information is useful (although guilt-inducing and therefore stress-inducing), and I wonder why governments want to limit business growth by not allowing new fast food establishments (hello...tax base??). What I am beginning to get tired of is a handful of government officials deciding what's best for me when it comes to the diet I choose for myself. I know I try to eat well and exercise for my own well being, but frankly if someone wants to eat himself to death, have at it! I had to give up regular coke for coke zero because of the hypoglycemia, but I won't look down on anyone who wants to drink fizzy sugar water. Who am I to tell you how to live your life? If I feel like eating nothing but salty food all day long, hooray! I don't becuase it makes me feel like crap, but lots of people are okay with feeling like crap. All I can do is shake my head and sigh at suggestions like this. Personal choice definitely being tossed out the window. /end political rant

No comments: