Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Food Drunk

I coined that term several weeks ago to myself when I visited a new and now favorite local Irish pub called Durty Kelly's (no website yet, but here is their info on UrbanSpoon). I went nuts eating all the amazing food. I got pretty giddy and just couldn't stop! I was there with friends and it was the first time in a long time that Rex was able to come out and just hang out. He works lots of nights and weekends enforcing the law on the general Atlanta population. I've often thought back to that night because occasionally I will go a little overboard at a favorite restaurant with the food, particularly another restaurant owned by the same people who run Durty Kelly's - Slice Cafe. They have the most amazing desserts from a local bakery called Lulu's (you'd think this was a food blog, not a running blog!!). I think you can tell I love to eat, hence why I run. I am not the kind of girl who is going to subsist on nothing but salads and low-fat garbage (which by the way has a ton of sugar in it).

Anyhooooooooo....all of this was to alert you all to this great article I came across on MSNBC. It turns out that there is such a thing as food drunk! They didn't call it that, but the article talks about dopamine and how certain fat and sugar combinations can make the brain react just like alcoholics do around alcohol. No wonder I go nuts for cheesecake! Just thinking about it makes me drool. I disagree with only one comment in the whole article. "Retrain the brain to think, "I'll hate myself if I eat that," Kessler advises." I'm sorry - that kind of self-hate revolving around food is what gets people into eating disorders. Try to be positive!

So next time you're at your favorite restaurant or making your favorite comfort food at home, remember that maybe you're a hypereater too. Or if you're like me, you're getting ready to get food drunk ;-)

No comments: