Thursday, April 15, 2010

My very unscientific trial

If you remember my posts from last summer, I suffered a lot from post-run headaches. I had thought that they were caused primarily by tension (as Rex will confirm, I always have a lot on my mind and am always trying to conquer everything). When these headaches would come, I'd try to relax and drink some water, thinking that perhaps a little dehydration had also occurred. Well, I got a bad headache again a few weeks ago and realized that the more water I drank the worse it got. Hmmmm.....so here's what I did......

I quit drinking so much water. I remembered reading that one of the symptoms of over-hydrating was headache, so after my runs I just drank when I was thirsty. In fact, last Saturday when I had really pushed myself to run as much as I could and was sweating, I drank very little water. Just when I was thirsty. What happened? Nothing. No headache, no failing of the pee test, nothing. I felt great. The next day was equally as good, except I was a little stiff in my back. That's to be expected after running more than usual.

I tried this again on Tuesday when I went running. Just drank water when I was thirsty. I felt fine. As unscientific as this is, I'm pretty sure that I was drinking too much water. Talk about too much of a good thing!

No comments: