Friday, April 9, 2010

Cutting calories can cause weight gain

It feels good to have science justify your way of thought. I hate counting calories, and I hate trying to restrict myself the way a lot of diets require you to. My philosophy is simple: eat more whole foods and less processed, try to get protein at every meal, cut out sweets except for a few bites after dinner, drink more water, and try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. So far it's helped lower my blood pressure (it was beginning to creep up on me, and now it's normal). I haven't had my cholesterol checked in a couple years, but I have a feeling that's improved too. Overall I feel better when I eat this way.

The reason I bring this up is because I found this great article on msn.com about how restricting calories can cause you to either struggle with weight loss or gain it back once the "diet" is over. I think patience is the hardest part of trying to get healthy and lose weight because we want it quickly. Everything in our lives is so instant that we forget losing weight takes time. It takes time to put it on, so it will take time to lose it. Yes, it took less time to gain it but it doesn't happen over night.

Speaking of how cortisol makes you gain weight, this week has been tough for me personally. Some crappy stuff happened to me that I won't mention here, but it's been frustrating. Needless to say I've been eating a lot more candy left over from Easter (well, I bought it after Easter because I wanted comfort food). I think it's caused me to gain all this weight back, even temporarily. That just makes me feel more crappy. Ugh! Isn't it funny how our minds cause so much to change with our bodies? I'm going to try and focus on more running. It helps clear my mind, and I need to run more anyway.

On a final note, maxi dresses are amazing because they're so loose that you feel awesome even on a "fat" day. LOL!!

No comments: