Monday, April 26, 2010

I think I'm back into the habit!

So this taking your running clothes with you to work thing really works! I ran today, and I feel pretty good about it. Lesson learned: run closer to home so I don't get stuck in rush hour traffic anymore than I have to. I passed no less than 2 bad wrecks, and combined with the intermittent rain the drive home was annoying. On the positive side I managed to finally go grocery shopping so I ate homemade tomato sauce with whole wheat linguini. The downside is that I realized shopping at Costco has been saving me a ton of money and I no longer want to go to Publix for more than smaller items that I simply cannot eat quickly enough to avoid spoiling (ie eggs) or items that Costco doesn't carry (my favorite Coffeemate creamers).

Speaking of shopping, May 1st is the opening of the Alpharetta Farmer's Market. I love this place because the food is so amazing. It's very comparable to shopping at the store price-wise, but the quality is so much better that I pretty much quit buying produce anywhere else during the Spring, Summer, and early Fall. My plan this year is to head down to Alpharetta early, get my run in, and stop by the farmer's market on the way home. To avoid shopping while hungry I will try to remember stashing a few Luna bars in my bag. Since coffee is served at the market I'll be indulging in that YUM!

Some things that are amazing from the farmer's market:

Peaches so fresh you can smell them a mile away
Green beans that are so crisp and flavorful they make every dish 100 times better
Fresh chestnuts, sometimes with extra protein (I ate a sample one with a worm in it....raw chestnuts are so good I take the risk)
Pastries that make a great breakfast with fresh coffee
Beef jerky that makes your mouth water
Tomatoes you could eat like an apple
Goats' milk cheese that melts in your mouth

If you're looking to incorporate more fruits and veggies in your diet, check out your local farmer's market!

No comments: