Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fast fixes or wastes of time?

There are some days when I'm tempted to try a diet drug to see if I could just lose a little weight. I think everyone has those days. I like to call them fat days because those days you feel super fat, no matter what you actually look like. It would seem that women feel this more than men do due to pressure to stay thin and attractive. As a result, there is a booming industry of diet pills and "quick" fixes to the obesity problems ravaging the United States and other developed nations.

Turns out none of them work. At least that's how I read the articles I keep coming across. Acai berry is a fad that not only doesn't work but is in the middle of some serious lawsuits and scams. Diet drug Meridia increases the risk of heart attack and stroke - neither of which are good for you!

What does work? Good ol' exercise and a healthy diet. Now I know there's a lot of debate over what constitutes a good diet, but we can all agree that cutting out candy and fast food might be a good place to start. A recent study says exercise can also counter the genetic tendency to carry extra weight.

Just a little food for thought.

No comments: