Friday, December 12, 2008

High Fructose Corn Syrup - Evil or just okay?


Runner's World magazine reported in their January issue that a study showed no evidence that high fructose corn syrup (hfcs) is metabolized any differently that sugar. While I understand that food manufacturers use hfcs to cut costs and increase shelf life, doesn't it scare you that so much of what we eat depends on this unnatural substance (or that we are so addicted to sugar that we have to have it everything we ingest)? Ask anyone who has struggled with his/her weight and tried cutting out carbs - it's nearly impossible to get away from the stuff.

With the obesity epidemic becoming more and more widespread, we as a society need to do more to save ourselves. Before you know it we'll all be too fat to walk or have babies. We're committing suicide as a species. Some may say that's okay with them. I for one think that that line of thought is idiotic.

Here's a good link on how to limit the effects of hfcs and sugar in your diet. Let me know if you think I'm paranoid about hfcs, but I definitely have my hypoglycemia under better control now that I'm trying to avoid sugar overload.

No comments: