Sunday, March 29, 2009

Training breakthrough!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to be really skeptical of advice that seems too easy or too good to be true...especially where it concerns working out. I've always had a problem with shinsplints and super tight calves. Sometimes my calves are okay, sometimes they're so tight my foot gets a little numb. I always thought it was because I wasn't stretching enough. I came across this little tidbit in April's Runner's World about how this annoyance can become a serious condition called medial tibial stress syndrome. I followed the advice to perform a couple sets of heel raises a few times a week. Voila! No more tightness, no more shin pain, nothing!! I even added some distance today, and the only issue I had was a runny nose and my hip flexors yelling at me by the end of the run. If you want to see how the heel raise is performed, follow this link (there's an annoying commercial before the clip, but it's a good video).

No comments: