Sunday, January 30, 2011

What beautiful weather!

Atlanta is experiencing some amazing spring-like weather at the moment, which is remarkable considering most of us were iced in our homes and the city was completely shut down for nearly a week just a couple weeks ago. We're all so giddy over the weather I think everyone has at least made it outside and taken in some fresh air. The Cumming Greenway was so packed people were parking on the main roads, friends are commenting that they've visited local parks themselves, and I don't think I've seen this many motorcycles on the road in a long time. It's like we all got a boost of energy because of the warmth and fresh air.

Yesterday's run was really good, although I've come to accept that I tend to perform better when it's a little cooler outside. I've also learned that if I'm going to take as long as I do to run longer distances, I need to get up earlier so it doesn't get in the way of the rest of my day. When Spring finally comes around, I'll adjust to the weather. It still feels strange to wear shorts right now, although they're needed since tights are way too hot.

Today's recovery run went very well. Slow, but good. With lots of walk breaks. My legs are very tired the day after the long run (duh!), but the value of the recovery run is I'm not stiff and the lactic acid gets worked out of my muscles, easing the soreness tremendously. The new shoes are helping a lot too. It's amazing how the right pair of shoes can make running so much better. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if you don't know what kind of shoes to wear go to a running specialty store. I know it costs a little extra cash, but it's worth every penny. Then once you know what kind of shoes to buy, go online and buy them cheap somewhere else. That's what I did! Now my shoes are about $30 less online, so I buy two pairs to rotate them out to preserve the cushioning.

I need to read some more from the material I have at home about the kinds of foods I need to be eating. When I learn more, I'll post more here. Happy running!

No comments: