Sunday, January 23, 2011

Training update

Let me just start this out with I hate treadmills. I think they not only bore you to death, but they also change your stride in a detrimental way. After I ran on the treadmill last week, my right leg hurt so bad I couldn't run very well Saturday. Then I had to wait until yesterday to run again. Granted, it was a combination of treadmill, weather, and old shoes, but boy did my leg hurt.

Instead of beating myself up over having to take a little time off, I just took it easy and remembered that it would be better to stay healthy than hurt myself even more. On a good note, training went well this weekend. I've been having a lot of success with the run/walk routine, and I noticed my training log has no space for speed notations. That's awesome! I think it's more important to complete your distance safely than try to beat yourself up because you didn't run it fast enough. The better you get, the faster you naturally become. I realized that by trying to avoid walk breaks when I was training for the Peachtree I set myself up for injury. I'm definitely enjoying training a lot more this time around.

As far as cross training goes, I haven't had much time for it. I'm gonna focus on trying to incorporate it more this week. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: