Thursday, February 3, 2011

I got a race update!

Well, it was mostly general information in an email, but I was still excited to get it. There were some important mundane details like race expo and packet pickup information, course maps, and sponsor information. The part that caught my eye was the pacing information. It turns out that if you are running slower than a 15 minute mile (which for me actually equals a run/walk pace), then you may not get a finish time and you could get pushed to the sidewalk to finish the race or can be driven to the finish on a truck. Suddenly I'm curious about my pace! They'll have pacers from local running stores to help you judge your time appropriately, but I'm dying to get home and check my Garmin and see what my average pace is. The reason this weighs on my mind is because I know I'm in that ballpark, and while a speedy finish isn't my goal I'd like to be counted as a finisher. You still get your complete race participation packet though, including the medal - just no official finish time from the race. I'll have my watch to measure my own time and pace, but still....

Anyway, I don't think I'll finish last. I know there are some walkers in every race, even the half marathon. I'll probably be second to last LOL! I'm not giving up though. If I happen to become a straggler, that's fine. At least I can say I completed the race and put that 13.1 sticker on my car!

No comments: