Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Training Changes

I feel like I have ADD. I had a training plan all picked out and ready to go next week, but I found an awesome book that has a training plan in it as well. So I'm switching. What is this book? Half-Marathon: You Can Do It by Jeff Galloway. For those who have been following me for a while, I'm a big Galloway fan. I really love his approach to running - everyone can do it, it's good to take walk breaks, avoid injuries, and above all have fun! He has a plan in this book for those who are just looking to complete the half-marathon, which is exactly what I plan to do. I'm not looking to set a certain time record for myself because I haven't established a baseline yet.

The other stuff I like in this book so far (I haven't finished reading it yet) are how to stay motivated, diet advice, cross training, health tips, and the easy and clear way it is written in. This book doesn't get too technical or jargony, which keeps me excited. The last thing anyone needs is to feel less than worthy because he/she isn't up to speed on the latest buzz words. Our egos are fragile, especially when trying new things.

On this topic though, Rex is going to join me in training. He won't run the race, but I have made a commitment to him to join him in cross training if he joins me in running. I think we can be successful if we motivate one another in our goals. This is going to be an interesting new year!

No comments: