Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Making progress!

I'm not speed racer, but I'm making some definite progress here. My running schedule has become more consistent, and I ran a full mile tonight nonstop. Woohoo! I know; this isn't exactly ground breaking news. But for me, this is awesome.

I'm trying to make sure I don't injure myself so I've started doing something I never did in the past - warming up. What's that you say? You mean this isn't some new development, and that I should have been doing this all along? Yeah, you're right. But I was too impatient to get the run out of the way in the past to bother with a proper warm up! I'm finding that a decent warm up of a few minutes walking prior to the run not only helps me ease into the run and make it better, but it helps ease my lungs into the extra activity. This alleviates the asthma symptoms a lot. It's not totally gone, but I don't sound like I need medical intervention after a run like I did before.

Speaking of asthma, I really need to see my doctor about getting an inhaler. It's gonna be cold soon! I'm planning on visiting Indiana for over a week in December, so I think I really need it by then because I don't have time to take a break from training. The air is so cold and dry up there that my asthma is going to flare up badly, warm up or no warm up.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good. I am celebrating progress towards the half marathon goal, which is what matters to me now.

No comments: