Saturday, November 27, 2010

Have you ever had a bad run?

I had one Thursday morning. Because of all the running around I had to do Wednesday night, I didn't have time to run so the run got pushed to Thursday morning. I figured I'd take it easy, but my leg was really mad at me. Evidently my right leg was still stiff from driving down to my parents' house, so running just made it madder. That's okay though. I mostly hobbled through the two miles but felt good that at least I could say that I got my run out of the way. It's hard to remember that not all runs will be good, and it's extremely easy to let that kind of run get your spirits down.

Again, that's okay. I'll go later today for a run. Or may it'll be tomorrow. Either way it'll be good. Good in that I'm out training. I don't have to be speed racer; I don't have to beat a personal best. I just have to get out and complete the distance required of me, and that is what I love about running. It is what I make it to be, and that's all that matters.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a lot of bad runs. I have a lot of runs that suck, that are slow, that are discouraging. Especially when I was training for my first marathon. That's when I remind myself that life isn't a glossy ad in Runners World. Running is hard, and in my opinion, a lot of times it sucks. But when I'm done, no matter how bad it was, at least I can say I did it. And those rare runs, where things feel good, when I'm fast and I feel strong mentally and physically, make the other 99% of my runs worth it.

kizzy said...

Just take some time to relax...Good luck!!!

"Sport is not about being wrapped up in cotton wool. Sport as about adapting to the unexpected and being able to modify plans at the last minute. Sport, like all life, is about taking risks."
- Sir Roger Bannister ~brooks running

Diane said...

lipglossspandex - You are so right! It can be so easy to get wrapped up in how Runner's World (or how any other publication) can make running seem so easy and awesome that we forget that it's supposed to be hard sometimes.

kizzy, Thanks! What a great quote, and definitely a great reminder that taking risks isn't always easy but is worth the effort =)