Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Turkey Day!

Boy do I love Thanksgiving! I get to eat all my favorite foods with abandon and then just goof off and be lazy. Christmas is only better in that I get to give and receive presents as well. Woohoo! Happy fun times LOL!

Anyway, with all this food some of you may be concerned about gaining weight or finding time to work out. I do think it's a struggle if you don't keep your workout routines a priority. Plan ahead with the shopping and decorating and it won't be so stressful. I moved my running schedule around this week to accommodate the fact that I will not be in any kind of mood to run on Thanksgiving. Usually I'd be glad just to make it out for a walk or short run to keep up the good habits, but right now I'm building the foundations for the half marathon. If I want to remain injury free, I've got to keep training consistently.

Speaking of training, Red and I tried something that we've read about in running publications for some time now. When you're short like I am (and I even have short legs and a long torso, making my legs even shorter than other women at 5'3"), you feel like your tiny little running steps are too small. I think I've been subconsciously trying to lengthen my stride to match taller men's strides. They go fast, why shouldn't I? Well, that's just counterintuitive. Turns out when you take tiny steps you go really fast without trying! I couldn't keep it up for long, but it's really cool! I think I'll use that trick when working on speed work down the road. Right now I'm just focused on mileage.

Red was awesome and came running with me twice last week. Saturday we tackled 3 miles, and while that wasn't too hard for her it was pushing me a lot. Let me just say (again!) that having a running buddy who understands and is simultaneously pushing you while helping you take breaks when needed is the bestest thing ever. Instead of just trudging through the run, I enjoyed it. My hips were mad at me until I ran again on Monday, but it's okay. Turns out recovery runs are important too because they work out the built up lactic acid and allow you to stretch effectively post-run.

I hope you have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, and if you're running in a Turkey Trot you deserve that extra helping of apple pie for dessert!

No comments: