Monday, January 5, 2009

Go Oprah!

I'm not a huge fan of Oprah's, but I don't hate her either. I think many people (mostly women) tend to follow what she says with blind and fanatical devotion which is a little scary. I have to admit that I was a little annoyed when Anna Karenina became a hit when I had already read it two or three times by the time Oprah noticed it and her book club told everyone to read it. But she is a woman that many people all over the world can relate to because of one struggle: weight.

For those that don't know, Oprah has come clean about her 40 pound weight gain. She now tips the scales at 200 pounds. I think she's gone through a grieving process in a way. First she was in denial. She talked about how she hid her body when posing for shots on the cover of her magazine "O". Then she was angry and to me now seems ready to accept what has happened to her body and the responsibility for those changes. I'm interested in seeing how she will stay motivated. Lets be honest here...celebrities have much more to motivate them to stay in shape and be thin than the normal person. They get paid to look good. We don't.

All in all I'm glad Oprah was honest about her weight. It was obvious that she had gained some weight, but we didn't know how much until she said something about it. Perhaps her fanatical followers will learn a lesson from her honesty and her struggle to be healthy. Being fit in this day and age is not easy, but it's not impossible either. If it was easy, we'd all be doing it.

No comments: