Sunday, January 24, 2010

Saturday's run!

I was only out for 20 minutes, but it was nice! The weather was cool enough that I didn't feel like it was a struggle to run, but warm enough that I didn't have to bundle up. Rex caught a cold, so he didn't come out with me. I haven't been on a solo run in months, so this was really nice.

I know I'm still in new gadget heaven, but this heart rate monitor is awesome! How else can I see what my heart rate is (yes 198 means I'm going to fast)? I also saw how fast I was running, down to miles per hour!! 5.0 mph seems to be a good steady and comfortable pace, but 5.5 seems to be where my legs want to go. I think 6.0 is closer to my old 5k race pace. To break this down, 5.0 equals a 12 minute mile. 5.5 is 11 minutes, and 6.0 is 10 minutes. Once I get the hang of it, this heart rate monitor will give me a clearer picture of my progress. Can I train without it? Absolutely! I did so for some time with no trouble.

On a good note, now that I'm back into the swing of things (sort of) I can tell my metabolism is kicking back up a bit. I need to be extremely careful so that I don't overindulge, or get into what I call "stupid full" after meals. Stupid full means I'm so stuffed I can't imagine eating another bite, and I'm uncomfortable because my tummy is poking out. As Juno's friend said "food baby" (from the movie Juno).

No comments: