Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My breakfast dilemma

Breakfast is a hard meal to plan for. Why? Because most quick and easy breakfast solutions are nasty. Instant oatmeal, which tastes pretty good, gets old after a while. Breakfast bars just don't have the same punch as real food. Shakes are evil. I got desperate and tried instant grits. While okay (I know, as a Southerner I just blasphemed), I got tired of them quickly. The cheese ones are a strange neon orange that reminds you what you're eating is not natural.

Lately I've been craving real food for breakfast. Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, that sort of stuff. It's kind of hard to make that kind of food every morning though since I have a hard enough time getting up in the morning. What I decided to do was make a breakfast sandwich. Last night I scrambled one egg, put it on a 100 calorie multi-grain english muffin, placed a slice of cheese on it, and then put it in a container to bring this morning. After nuking it in the microwave for 30 seconds it was ready for consumption. The verdict? Awesome! Because the eggs were scrambled they reheated much better than a fried egg would. Melted cheese is a bonus. The english muffin was okay, but much healthier than a bagel or croissant. I may toast it before storing next time. My issues with the english muffin were mostly texture, not taste.

The reason I am posting this is because breakfast is an extremely important meal for everyone, but especially for those who are trying to lose weight. You start the day off right with good fuel, and you're less likely to binge on junk at lunch and dinner. Eggs pack a lot of protein in each serving, and fiber fills you up. I may get adventurous and try some bacon soon.....YUM!

No comments: