Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Walk Breaks

If you're like me, and you have to at least have a sense of humor like I do to read this blog, then you have a tendency to be a little hard on yourself. I didn't run a whole 5k until January of this year, and I had been working towards that goal for nearly a year. My training has been so lax lately that I won't be able to run the 5k completely on Halloween. Is that bad? Actually, it isn't.

I've been realizing that Atlanta running celebrity and Olympic athlete Jeff Galloway has some great advice. It's all about completing the distance. In fact, he encourages his trainees to take walk breaks! Since I've been having some major motivation issues lately (I haven't run in weeks), I think I might use his advice and just start over. With walk breaks. Kind of like fartlek training but instead of run/jog it will be my comfortable jog/walk. I think it will break the monotony of training a bit.

Check out this article and anything else you can find that Jeff Galloway has written about training.

No comments: