Saturday, February 7, 2009

What a beautiful day!

Winter in Georgia doesn't last nearly as long as it does in other parts of the US, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Luckily for me the high for today is supposed to be around 65F, so off to the park I go for some outdoor running! There's a local park that the city maintains with an excellent running trail that I love to take advantage of. It's also got some good sized hills that I can use for speed drills or just getting better at running up hills.

I don't think I'll run a lot today because I'm helping Rex (my blog nickname for the spousal unit) get in shape for his career. He's a cop wanting to become a DEA agent in the future, and there are some very high physical standards he has to meet before even being offered a job. With that in mind, I am going to join him on his workouts when I can and do everything he does. It's always easier to workout with a partner, and since this will be so physically demanding I will give as much support as I can give short of taking the test for him.

Here's what I'd like to aim for in the next year:

20+ pull ups (I can't even do one right now)
100+ sit ups (I can do about 45-50 but I struggle with that)
50+ push ups (I can't quite to a complete push up)
Complete a 120 yard dash around some cones in under 30 seconds
and the really hard part....

Run 2 miles in 16 minutes. Speed has not been my goal when I've been training because I've been working on endurance. I have some time on this one because Rex needs to just be able to run 2 miles first. I am fully confident we can do this, but it will be hard! The pay off? A kick ass career for hubby and a kick ass body for the both of us. Yeah!

2 comments:

Si said...

Hey Diane,

2 sites which might help achieve those goals are:

one hundred pushups - ideally takes you from 0-100 pushups in 6 weeks. Never works THAT smoothly, but gives you something to aim at.

and

Simple Fit - a similar program with a mixture of exercises, including pullups.

Good luck with your goals,

Si

Diane said...

Thanks Si! These look like awesome sites with great information, especially the one hundred pushups one. And thanks for reading the blog! I will definitely keep everyone updated on how Rex and I are progressing on our goals.