Thursday, February 24, 2011

More tweaks to the long runs...

I'm in the training phase now that requires some experimentation during long runs so I can avoid any nasty and unwelcome surprises during the race itself. 13.1 miles is a long way to go when you're stomach is upset (upper or lower GI distress), you've forgotten what's going on because your electrolytes or sugars are way off, the new shoes you bought gave you blisters, etc, etc. The list of disasters is very long.

Last week I tried Accelerade, which tastes much better than I had thought it would. I tried the orange flavor, and while the flavor is actually pretty intense, it keeps me from chugging the whole bottle in one gulp. As a result of the drink on top of an extra packet of Honey Stingers with me on the run, I ended up finishing totally tired and exhausted but not with any kind of headache, confusion, irritability, lethargy, etc. Turns out 10 miles still wipes you out though so I took a nap later that afternoon. The headache I got later that evening was due to low blood sugar because I was starving and trying not to eat too much.

So far I think I'm on track for the half-marathon. My only concern is being counted as a non-finisher, but I can't let it bog me down. If they don't count me as a finisher, it doesn't mean I didn't actually finish. I just don't get an "official" time. I'm still buying one of those 13.1 stickers for my car LOL!

No comments: