Thursday, February 2, 2012

Getting into a Groove

So I was concerned about training after work. I just don't get up early enough to run before work, so I run afterwards. So far it's been pretty good. Since I'm already in the habit of taking the dog for a walk right after getting home, running just means changing into running gear instead of jeans and then running instead of walking. Distance-wise it's no different than my usual walk route so far, but I'm just building up a foundation again. Today I think I ran a whole mile before stopping. The GPS/heart rate monitor is out of juice, plus I'm trying to start easy with no pressure. I run at an easy pace until I feel tired, then I walk a bit, then run some more.

The dog is learning more about pacing, and frankly I'm relearning it myself. I know this has been posted before here, but I think it's worth repeating. It's amazing how much we forget about training when it's been a while since we've trained. I mean, intellectually I knew that my calves might feel tight and that it would be hard to pace early in the run but it's another to experience it again. Luckily at this point in my running I recognize a lot about myself much faster than before and can correct sooner. This prevents injury and keeps the run enjoyable. At the end of the day that's my goal: enjoy the run and enjoy the benefits of being in shape.

Have you ever stopped running or working out for a while and then took it back up again? This should be fairly common considering the significant drop off in gym attendance after March :)

No comments: