Saturday, June 6, 2009

Training session #7

Today was another 60 minute run. That's the longest the runs are from now until the Peachtree, so it's just a matter of getting used to the intensity for that duration of time. I ran about 5.25 miles, which is a mile short of the full 10k, so I'm in good shape. We have a month to go, and that's plenty of time to get used to the distance.

Here's what sucks. My hips, particularly the muscles that are around the joint where my femur meets my hips, really really hurt. I told my coaches today about it, and they said others were obviously affected by the same condition. Some people had mentioned it, and others just looked like they were hobbling. Simply put the muscles are too tight from all the running we've been doing. Michele (coach #1) has been getting over a really bad case of super tight hip muscles for a few weeks now. We got some new stretches that really helped, so instead of limping like my leg was broken last week, I'm walking fine after a few steps. The first stretch on this page was a good one that Jim (coach #2) showed me. It was awesome!

All in all, my foot strike has been improving a lot (Jim noticed it right away!), my calves have not tightened up too badly, and my body is slowly getting used to this kind of running. If there's anything I've learned from these training sessions, it's STRETCH!!

No comments: