Thursday, June 25, 2009

And I Ran....

I ran so far away....

Okay, enough with the Flock of Seagulls. Is it stuck in your head? It's stuck in mine.

Anyway, onto better things...like running! So I met Red tonight for a late evening run to try and avoid the heat. I was really apprehensive about the whole thing since I had dealt with so much pain the past few weeks but was ready to give it a shot. So off we go....and we went faster, and faster, and then had to take a break at around 1.6 miles because we were going too fast! Ah! I guess all that resting had really built up my energy stores. Unfortunately about 10 minutes per mile is a bit fast for me - closer to my 5k race pace actually - so it's hard to maintain. I guess I used up all my energy because the rest of the run was hard. I kept my watch going on all the breaks, so according to my watch the total walk/run was over 45 minutes. Red's watch said just over 40 minutes since she stopped it at the breaks. Either way I think it was really good. I was just really excited that I wasn't in pain.

It was around 90 degrees when we were out, which was freakin' blazing hot. I think the heat did me in more than anything else. I started to stop sweating part of the way in, which kind of scared me. That's a sure sign of trouble. Next time I'll carry something to drink to avoid dehydration and heat sickness. On that note I'm not really looking forward to the Peachtree Road Race, but I'm going to reserve judgment until I'm finished with the race. I'm just not looking forward to all those people and the heat. I found out that not only are there 55,000 participants, but there are well more than 100,000 spectators as well. That's a lot of people!! This little introvert can't usually handle all that people exposure...

Anyway, this Saturday is our final training run. I'm going to run with the novice group at 50 minutes instead of 60 with the intermmediate. I just feel safer doing that. Tapering starts the following day, so I'm just starting a day earlier. My book review is coming, just as soon as I get a few more minutes to plan out what I'm going to highlight.

All in all thanks everyone for listening and reading my stories, as pathetic as I'm sure they get. If anyone out there has a blog let me know and I'll make sure to subscribe on my Google Reader.

Ciao!

No comments: