Saturday, May 5, 2012

More Lessons Learned

Alright, it's been a minute since I've posted an update. I have been crazy busy, and it's hard to blog from my phone. Possible, but annoying.

Anyhoo, here's what happened.

I missed my 11 mile run for a migraine. Looking back I realize that I was getting tired and was due for a migraine. If I had paid attention, I would have taken my migraine meds like I was supposed to but hindsight is always 20/20. At the end of the day I think that I needed the break. My next runs were really good.

This brings me to the 12 mile run I completed this morning. The first 8 miles were fantastic. I was feeling good, on track for a 12:20 pace, and enjoying myself. Then I ran out of water. And it was about 80 degrees at that point. Dehydration did not treat me well on those last 4 miles. I walked so much I added a minute to my average pace, but running made me so worn out. Oh well. The positive: at least this happened on my training run so I have time to recover from it. The negative: it was my final super long training run. Again, oh well.

I have a plan for the race. There are water stations on the course, and I plan on taking my water bottle with me. I'll drink from my bottle while running and make sure I get extra water at the stations. Crossing my fingers on the weather, but with it being cooler up in Chicago I shouldn't sweat as much but I'm going to keep focused on my hydration. I've learned that dehydration overall is my biggest enemy. We can talk about tight calf muscles, form, motivation, pacing, whatever, but dehydration tends to get me every time.

But here's the best part: it's time for the taper!!! Two weeks to the race: I'm very excited =)

No comments: