Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What is a healthy diet?

If you read medically accepted advice, then you know you should be eating a low-fat, high protein and high carb diet. I say high carb because it's suggested to eat a lot of grains if you look at the food pyramid. This is where I deviate drastically from popular advice. See, being hypoglycemic means I feel the affects of lowering blood sugar. It doesn't necessarily mean my glucose is low, but I certainly feel the dip more than most. This ends up meaning I should treat my diet carefully. Here's what my diet ends up consisting of:
  • Wheat bread for sandwiches
  • Fruit
  • Veggies
  • Chicken
  • Beef
  • White rice
  • Whole grain pasta
  • Almond milk
  • Fiber cereal
  • Low-fat yogurt (2%)
  • Butter
  • Butter
  • Butter
  • Bacon grease
  • Butter
I can hear you now. You eat butter?! And how in the world do you eat bacon grease??? Well, for one I'm Southern. Bacon grease can be used in place of oil in a skillet. And let's face it - butter is good. It's unsalted butter, but it's butter. What I focus on is lower carb and lower sodium ratios. I don't try to eat too much fat - not a whole lot of alfredo sauce, cheese, milk, or fatty meats. I just don't sweat the fat I do eat. Fat helps with slowing the absorption of sugar, which means I don't have as many spikes in glucose. No spikes equals happy Diane :)

Why do I bring this up? I found this really interesting article on Yahoo! that asks if skim milk is actually making us fat. Even if you prefer the no fat version of milk, I think how skim milk is made white will make you give it up forever. Gross!

No comments: